So, truth be told, there’s probably WAY more than 15 things you don’t know about me. I mean, right? You don’t even really know me at all. But, it actually is a little daunting to think of 15 things that I want to share. Suddenly, 15 seems like a HUGE number.
Why would I even share 15 things, you ask?
Well, I WANT you to get to know me! And, since I accidentally blew up the blog I had worked so hard on (in case you didn’t know, I was previously A Hungry Runner) when I started this one, I can’t point you to any previous posts or recipes or race recaps, etc. I blogged for a few years over there and now, all of that is gone. *sigh* Bygones. (And, if you never watched Ally McBeal, you won’t get that.) Also, during the process, I had some stops and starts (don’t even get me started on that whole Lifting Plates thing. Ugh.) and probably lost most, if not all, of the readers I did have. Including my mother. Yeah. It’s a cutthroat world out there, people.
1. You might know that I’m married to a sailor but you probably don’t know that I served in the Navy for 11 years. Met my sailor during my time, had two kids, and did lots of cool stuff. It’s all classified of course … I could tell you but then I’d have to kill you. And that would be a real downer. Haha! jk
Anyway, it got to a point where it didn’t make sense for me to stay in – as in, my sailor and I were going to have to take jobs overseas that forced us to work 12-16 hours a day on separate schedules. Um…yeah, no. Not ideal for the Things so, I made the choice to get out, provide stability for my girls (who are both now Moms – hence the whole “Nana” business. haha), and support my sailor’s career. And, now he’s a Master Chief and we’re super proud of him so….that worked out well! #noregrets
2. I have struggled with self-confidence and body image issues for practically my entire life. Being flat-chested with a round booty was NOT the body to have back when I was a teenager and I really struggled. If I had a dime for every time I was called “bubble butt” or “carpenter’s delight,” I’d be a rich, rich girl. Even though I was lucky enough to find my soul mate who thinks I’m beautiful and loves me for ME, I still struggled. Until about 8 years ago when I rediscovered running and I learned I could do things like run marathons. And then I found CrossFit and learned I can do pull-ups and lift heavy things. Now, I do still struggle occasionally. I have days when I look in the mirror and I’m like – bleh. I think we all do, though. If you don’t, tell me your secret! But, for the most part, I really like the me that looks back from that mirror. Only took 40-some odd years. 🙂
3. I was married before my current. Thing 1’s dad is not my current hubby. But, that was a long time ago. It only lasted 4 years. She was the best thing to come out of that relationship. Currently? Happily married almost 21 years. 🙂
4. I’ve run 8 marathons since my first one in 2008 – Philadelphia, Marine Corps twice, Rock ‘n Roll New Orleans, Mississippi Blues, Richmond, Salt Lake City, and Flying Pig in Cincinnati. I’ve registered for 10 but didn’t run two due to injury – this year’s Marine Corps (super bummed about that one!) and the Tupelo Marathon in Mississippi. Interestingly enough, both of those were the only ones I was actually training for a Boston qualifying time. I’ve also registered for a 50k and had to drop out due to injury. I do love running but I’m thinking my days of marathon running might be coming to an end. Especially since I’m waiting on knee surgery right now.
5. I have a torn meniscus. Pretty sure it tore back in July. And by tear, I mean it’s completely detached on one side. I don’t do things half-assed. Nope, only the best and biggest for me! And, military healthcare is a GINORMOUS bureaucracy so things don’t move quickly at all and I’m inching closer to surgery. Thought I was going to have it this month but I had some referral approval issues and I’ve had to back up a few steps. It’s been very very frustrating and it’s been very very hard for me not to cuss at people, especially since one doc told me the radiologist was wrong and I didn’t have a tear and I should just “give it time” and “sit down if my knee swells up.” Yeah, she was a peach. So, now, I have an appointment with a new doc (same clinic as the “peach” so that won’t be awkward at all) and fingers crossed he sees the same thing that the 2nd opinion doc saw (wanted surgery by him but he’s not military and Tricare said no). Argh! I just want to be fixed and on the path to recovery.
Wow. 15 things is a LOT. OF. THINGS. Maybe I should make this a 2 part series?
6. I heart Disney movies. Can usually find some way to quote them or make reference to them with regards to my life. I even quoted Mary Poppins in a job interview once. Seriously. I did! Got the job, too. 🙂 I’m pretty partial to the Jungle Book, the Lion King, and Mary Poppins.
7. I’m afraid of the dark. Like, you know, that whole pitch black thing. I can’t do it. Feels like I can’t breathe. There are no shortage of night lights in my house and yes, I even take them when I go to hotels. #havenightlightwilltravel
8. I’m also claustrophobic. That may have something to do with why I don’t like the dark. There’s no sense of space. I’m not so bad I can’t ride in an elevator but I prefer the stairs and I absolutely refuse to ride a packed elevator. I’ll wait. If we’re ever in an elevator together and it starts to fill up too much, I will bolt without warning. Sorry. I’ll ride up on the next one.
9. I used to smoke. I quit on January 1, 2004. I didn’t plan on quitting. I just happened to have bronchitis and COULDN’T smoke because it made me cough and that hurt too much. Once I felt better, it had been over a week since I’d smoked so …. I just never went back to it. Also, I quit drinking soda at the same time. Boy, if I hadn’t already been sick and miserable, I’m sure I would have been a raging BITCH trying to do all that at the same time! #justsayin
10. I’m addicted to Words With Friends. Want to play?
Phew….only 5 more to go!
11. I saw a bear in the park up the road from my house a couple of years ago when I was out on a 20-mile training run. Adolescent bear, no mama bear around. Thank goodness he wasn’t really interested in me but there was a moment when I called 911 because he was running down the road towards me. I ended up being in the local paper. I’m a minor celebrity! And yes, there was a blog post about it too. Sorry. It’s gone. :/ But, I still have the bear photo!
Yeah, yeah, it’s not the best photo. I was scared and NOT trying to get a close up. And, apparently he was pissed that I didn’t ask him to sign a photo release because he came running down the road towards me right after I took this.
12. I broke my pinky toe on my left foot back in 1993. The wrong pair of shoes and an over-aggressive pedicure can make it really hurt even 23 years later.
13. Hey! 13 is my lucky number! The year I wore it when I played softball as a kid, I hit 5 home runs.
14. And speaking of things I used to do, I used to bowl all the time. I was pretty good. My high game is 263. I competed in loads of tournaments and, every time we moved, the bowling center was one of the first places I would check out. Haven’t bowled in years. Bowling and I broke up back in ’99 or 2000. It was messy and contentious. I try not to think about it.
15. I am addicted to HGTV and the show, Fixer Upper. Can’t get enough of it!
I DID IT!!! 15 things!!
And, if you made it through all of them, CONGRATULATIONS! Thanks for sticking with me!Want to know more about Fit Nana? She's sharing 15 things you didn't know! #truthtime #random Click To Tweet
Now, it’s your turn! Tell me something about YOU!